Slowly but surely, Laos economic advancement is progressing. At the end of the year there was another positive news for the economy. Co-Op Okinawa, a Okinawa-based consumers cooperative, will include Lao-Lao in its range. Starting in early 2020 the products will be available in Okinawa. A bottle of 500ml can then be bought for JPY 1.000. That’s approximately $ 9. For now the plan is to sell 7000 bottles in the coming year.
Lao-Lao a boost for the Laotian economy?
There are two reasons why these news could be considered as good ones for Laos. Firstly a Laotian good is going to be exported to a foreign country. If received well, the product may even be exported in higher numbers in the future and therefore spread to other countries. Secondly Co-Op Okinawa is planning to combat poverty by donating a part of the incoming profits to local Lao communities. Both could be a considerable boost for the economy in Laos.
What actually is Lao-Lao?
Lao-Lao is a famous rice whisky produced in Laos known for its unique taste and high alcohol concentration. The latter varies by the source of the drink. Same applies for quality and taste. Usually Lao-Lao is drunk neat (in a single gulp), meaning that there are no other liquids added. However, Lao-Lao based cocktails are gaining more popularity nowadays. Popular additives can be honey or scorpions. The whisky is mostly consumed during important festive events.
- In September 2016 Obama visited Laos and became the first U.S. president ever to step foot in the country. Most people don’t know that this visit was of utmost importance and helped to overcome a dark chapter in history. As you can see in the picture above Obama’s visit remains an important event. Many people […]
- Money is always an interesting topic and in Laos it’s no different. Therefore in this article we want to talk about some relevant topics regarding money in Laos. First of all: If you’ve always wanted to be a millionaire, Laos is the right country for you, because the local currency is not worth much compared […]
- Vang Vieng is just wonderful for yoga. A small town in the mountains, surrounded by nature, you couldn’t ask for a better atmosphere. If you aren’t familiar with yoga or you just don’t want to do it alone, you may be wondering whether there are yoga classes in Vang Vieng. We’re glad to confirm that […]
- Those who exercise regularly and plan to travel to Vang Vieng, usually want to know, if there is any gym in the town. We’re happy to confirm that this is the case. In fact, there are some gyms in Vang Vieng and the equipment is usually quite good. So let’s take a closer look at […]
- If you research about vegetarian or vegan food in Laos, you’ll see that most people believe that the Southeast Asian country has little to offer in this regard. We don’t agree with that. In our opinion, the situation isn’t nearly as bad as it’s partially described. On the contrary, there are some great vegetarian and […]